Sirius Year 9 Rugby produce outstanding performance to win in Yorkshire Cup

[07 Feb 2011]

The Year 9 Rugby team produced an outstanding team performance to beat last years National Cup Semi-Finalists St John Fisher (Dewsbury) away from home. Up against it as the team was missing key players the boys stuck together and from 1 to 17 all played a part in a great victory for the Academy.

Playing down the hill in the 1st half Sirius created several chances on a platform laid by great defence from the likes of Jamie Warcup and John Godwin. However it wasnt until an inventive kick from Harry Tyson-Wilson saw Benn Arbon collect the ball on the bounce and score to give Sirius a deserved 4-0 lead. Further good defence from Sirius including great work from George Thomas, Louis Carmichael and Jack Walton led to the opportunity for Tyson to draw the defence in and play an inside pass to Jamie Warcup who crashed over for an 8-0 lead. After good work from Liam Platten and Kieran Jones a scrum was forced and Loose-Forward George Scottow picked the ball up from the base and showed great strength and speed to go in from 40 metres out and allow Kieran Jones an easy kick for a 14-0 lead. Sirius then stuck to their game-plan and played some great Rugby to create a position for Tyson to lay on a pass for the rampaging Warcup to crash over with three defenders on him with Jones adding the kick for a half-time lead of 20-0.

The second half saw Sirius playing up a steep hill however the team showed great determination in defence to hold Fisher out for long periods. However pressure on the Sirius line told with an early try to take the score to 20-6. With strong running from Josh Jackson and Tom Hance Sirius worked their way back into the game and this allowed Tyson to send a wide pass out to Hance to collect and score for a lead of 24-6. The game then changed with Fisher dominating for a long spell despite hard work from Calvin Parker, Ben Ramsey and Brendon Hepworth. Fisher scored three tries in this spell to pull the match back to 24-20 with 7 minutes remaining. However Sirius again dug deep and played with great team spirit which led to a bone-crunching tackle from Hepworth causing a knock-on from Fisher near their try-line. Sirius then went close on two occasions before a cut-out pass from Tyson found Hepworth wide to give Sirius an outstanding 28-20 win.