Year 7 Football boys complete the Cup treble!

[26 Apr 2016]

The Sirius Academy Year 7 Football team won their 3rd trophy of a highly successful 1st season as a team with a tight 5-4 victory over Malet Lambert in the Hull Schools Cup Final. The team fresh from their win last week in the Humberside Schools Cup Final, played some excellent football but a strong 2nd half showing from Malet made the Sirius boys work hard for yet another trophy. The last stage of their excellent season will see the boys look to secure two more wins in the Hull Schools League to see them crowned League champions, as they aim to complete a clean-sweep of all local and County competitions.
Playing with a strong wind at our backs, the Sirius team dominated the early proceedings however a quick attack saw the dangerous Malet forward break clear to put Malet 1-0 up after 5 minutes. Sirius settled into the game from this point with Harry Wallis as ever pulling the strings from mid-field with his excellent variety of passing. At the back Tom Overton calmly dealt with the long-ball threat, using his speed and awareness to snuff out any danger. Carrington Walker, starting in defence for the 1st time, had an excellent game, breaking up several attacks whilst Kieran Welburn used his left foot to great effect to relieve danger and set up attacking positions for Sirius. Harry Fenton was as usual his normal “terrier-like” self, hassling the ball and running at the Malet back three. Alfie Sumtpon on the right created the equaliser as he squared the ball for Mason Palmer to smash the ball home for 1-1. Sirius continued to press forward and gained a penalty as Fenton was bundled over from behind as he was through on goal. Up stepped Jack Cutler who put the ball in off the post for 2-1. Cutler continued on the left to cause problems and his good run from a Fenton pass saw Wallis steam into the box to “nut-meg” the keeper for a 3-1 half-time lead.
The 2nd was always going to be a battle with the strong wind now in the Sirius faces. Finlay Bowler in goal was alert when needed to come and claim passes over the top throughout the half. Disaster struck early for Sirius who conceded straight from the kick-off for 3-2 and Malet equalised with their own penalty kick for 3-3. Sirius showed true determination as Lewis Sutton, Daniel Chadwick and Josh Smith played their part in stemming the Malet waves of attack. Sirius went back ahead when a Malet defender handled in the box to allow Wallis to dispatch the resultant penalty foe 4-3 however back came Malet to equalise with only 8 minutes remaining for 4-4. As time ticked on, only a fantastic save from the Malet keeper from Fenton saw the game stay level. As extra-time loomed with seconds left on the clock, a Wallis cross-field pass was superbly controlled by Fenton who skipped past a defender and chipped the ball over the advancing keeper to hand Sirius the Cup!!
Special thanks to Martin Smith for his continued help in coaching the team and to Mark Woods for driving the bus and supporting the boys.
Please congratulate the following boys on their continued success:
Finlay Bowler, Kieran Welburn, Tom Overton ©, Carrington Walker, Jack Cutler, Harry Wallis, Alfie Sumpton, Harry Fenton, Mason Palmer, Lewis Sutton, Renaldas Sokolovas, Daniel Chadwick, Josh Smith.