Year 7 Rugby team outstanding in victories!

[21 Sep 2012]

The Sirius Academy Year 7 Rugby team got off to an excellent start in their Sirius careers with two fine victories and automatic qualification to the Carnegie Champion Schools Yorkshire Cup. The boys showed great skill in defence and attack, but more impressively the team spirit that they displayed in their 1st match together as a team. The team will now look for friendlies to continue their progression before their Yorkshire Cup campaign begins.

The teams 1st match saw them up against Kelvin Hall. Sirius kicked-off, and followed this with some tough defence with Kieran Bartlett, Declan Jackson and Rhys Purchon leading the way. When Sirius got their hands on the ball, an excellent play-the-ball from Luke Moss allowed Keane Stevenson to break through and a great wide pass from captain Mikey Lewis sent Joseph Sedman in who finished spectacularly. From the kick-off the ball fell to Jack Scottow, who stepped past three defenders, before sprinting 60 metres to score under the posts with Jackson converting for a 10-0 lead. Sirius continued to work hard in defence with Reece Gooch and Moss showing up strongly, and the impressive Connor Matthews and Lewis dictated the game in attack. Scottow was over again before half-time again showing speed after a good break by Dylan Hepworth. The 2nd half saw Kelvin battle hard and pressure Sirius however Callum Riley, Lewis Harold and Harrison Longden led the way in forcing mistakes. With little time left it was Lewis who scored the final try, dummying his way over for an 18-0 win.

The 2nd match for the boys saw Hessle High as the opposition. With several changes the Sirius team continued with some aggressive defence with Jack Arnott and Jackson again producing some strong hits. An early break from Riley resulted in the winger been taken to hospital with a broken collarbone which was a great shame after his impressive start. The team readjusted after the delay and Jackson was 1st over, barging over from close-range. Sirius continued to control the ball well with captain Matthews finding willing runners in Tyler Hackett and Stevenson. Arnott was next over using his size and speed to power over for an 8-0 half-time lead. The 2nd half saw Kain Smith and Charlie Holness work hard for the team, but it was Hackett who powered over after good work from Lewis and Matthews. The final scorer was fittingly Jordan Wornor who showed up well all night and he stepped through to score under the posts with Purchon goaling for an 18-0 win.

Please congratulate the following boys on their success, attitude and behaviour:

Luke Moss, Joseph Sedman, Jack Scottow, Dylan Hepworth, Jordan Wornor, Mikey Lewis, Connor Matthews, Keane Stevenson, Kieran Bartlett, Rhys Purchon, Tyler Hackett, Declan Jackson, Reece Gooch, Harrison Longden, Jack Arnott, Callum Riley, Lewis Harold, Kain Smith, Charlie Holness.

Test link

Test link