[05 Mar 2013]


The Year 8 football team achieved a difficult feat of winning the ‘West Hull School’s league’ two seasons on the bounce, with a win over Kelvin Hall School.


First Half:
From the outset of the game Sirius were really strong in the challenge and challenging every play produced by the opposition. This hunger for possession saw Sirius dominating the first 20 minutes of the game and having much of the opening exchanges. The opening goal came in the form of a penalty, won by Alfie Pougher, with a definite foul just inside the 18 yard box. Alfie took a knock in the challenge with a headbutt and push in the back for his troubles. Alfie was then rested with Connor Morgan Hanson his replacement. Josh Jarvis stepped up, showing some nerves, but cooly slotted the ball to the right of the keeper in the bottom left corner to make the game 1-0.
Kelvin Hall reacted well to the opening goal and started to gain more of the possession towards the end of the first half. This possession lead to the equalising goal with the Kelvin midfielder striking the ball on the edge of area to Kane Tock’s right hand side. A good goal that left Tocky stretching, in vain, to save the low shot. Just after the re-start the ref blew the whistle signalling the end of the first half with honours even at half time – 1-1.

Second Half:
Loaded with some instructions given at half time, Sirius again started the second half the dominant team. Charlie Morriss was a problem for the Kelvin all game with some excellent runs in behind the defence. This persistent work by Morriss was almost rewarded with only the post denying the hard working striker. A very accurate through ball by Stephen Pougher, latched onto by Morriss, had the keeper at sixes and sevens and with an open goal beckoning Morriss could only strike the woodwork from the tight angle.
All the hard work produced from the midfield was rewarded when Alfie Pougher, after coming back onto the field, produced some strong challenges to feed Josh Jarvis on the right hand side. Josh took the ball forward and cut the ball back to the on-rushing Stephen Pougher, to power the ball to the keepers left, making the score 2-1.

A confident Sirius furthered their lead through Alex Appleby. Again some excellent work by the midfield saw Alfie Pougher on the opposite wing running at the Kelvin left-back. He then smartly held the ball and flicked it on to Alex Appleby, who hit the ball on the half volley, that lashed into the top right hand corner of the net. The boys were clearly delighted and seemed to have a good hold on the game. Adam Kelsey, Callum Baker and Jamie Gould were a resilient defence and were fantastic with some excellent clearances to the wings to aid the attack.

With 2 minutes to go, there was one last roll of the dice. Sirius seemed to be cruising to a good victory when a freekick was conceded by Alex Appleby on the edge of the 18 yard box. With only minutes to go and dumbfounded, the Sirius team created a wall but were not able to stop the great strike produced from the Kelvin striker, that left Kane Tock prostrate. 3-2 with minutes left (or so we thought!)

Now getting into Fergie time, Kelvin made a swift pass into the box and from a tight angle forced Kane Tock into a wonderful save with his legs at the near post, denying Kelvin the late equaliser.

A deserved win by the team with top efforts by all to declare themselves the champions of west Hull!

MAN OF THE MATCH: With little to choose between them, ADAM KELSEY and CHARLIE MORRIS!

Please congratulate the boys when you see them:
Jak Langley, Kane Tock, Charlie Morriss, Harry Knight, Alfie Pougher, Josh Jarvis, Callum Baker, Dominik Litwinski, Nathan Voakes, Stephen Pougher, Harry Storr, Jamie Gould, Adam Kelsey, Connor Morgan-Hanson, Jack Best and Alex Appleby.

Test link

Test link