Yr 7 Football report – Wolfreton 0 Sirius 5

[14 Mar 2012]

Last night the boys travelled to Wolfreton still smarting from the defeat at South Hunsley the week before. The squad again travelled without long term injuries to Adam Kelsey and Joe Boxall as well as Dominic Litwinski who was rested due to a foot injury.

The game started with Sirius pressing the ball well and trying to play the ball to feet and into space on what was a very uneven surface. Despite some excellent football with Martin Jude acting as a link between midfield and attack and the back three of Jamie Gould, Alex Appleby & Callum Baker ensuring Kane Tock had little to do Sirius simply could not score. Alfie Pougher ran the Wolfreton right-back ragged and on another day would have had a hat-trick in the first 15 minutes but for a great save by the keeper, a great tackle by the centre-back and the uneven bounce of the pitch.

Sirius kept plugging away trying to play their football and with 5 minutes of the half left the midfield broke away from their own goal. Josh Jarvis shot and it was deflected out only for Harry Storr to hit a first time shot into the top corner 1-0 sirius.

Half time whistle came with the boys disappointed to only be 1-0 up.

Nerves were quickly settled at the start of the second half when Sirius won a corner on the left hand side. Jamie Gould stepped up to take it. In a move from the training ground Martin Jude ran short for it laid it straight back to Jamie who now swung the ball in. Stephen Pougher lost his maker and powered the header home. 2-0 to Sirius. From the restart Wolfreton found themselves in Sirius box and after a goal mouth scramble Kane Tock produced an excellent point blank save to keep his goal intact. That save seemed to take all the fight out of Wolfreton and Sirius now started to totally dominate the game.

Sirius’ third goal came after some great play between Nathan Voakes, Alex Appleby and Josh Jarvis feeding Connor Morgan-Hanson. Connor crossed the ball from the left allowing Charlie Morriss to run on to it, he shot and the keeper produced an excellent save, however his save only slowed the ball down and it trickled over the line. 3-0 to Sirius

After an excellent shift in central midfield Jak Langley was replaced by Jack Best and Martin Jude was replaced by Andrew Ramsden. Jack Best gave a very impressive 20 minute display having a hand in both of Sirius next two goals. After ghosting past his man he laid the ball into Harry Knight who opened his body and curled the ball around the keeper for a lovely finish. 4-0

Sirius final goal was scored by Connor Morgan-Hanson who was played through by the much improving Andrew Ramsden. Connor continued to chase the ball down putting the keeper under pressure and got his exactly what he deserved with a tap in for his first Sirius goal.

A really excellent performance from the squad, hopefully they can keep this form for the match at Winfred Holtby on Thursday 15 March in the ¼ final of the Hull Cup.

Thanks to Janice Hall for getting us there

Test link

Test link